Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Our Wedding Invitation Design

So, D and I got married on August 6th...It was an amazing day- it was pretty amazing to have so many loved ones there, all stepping up and bearing their hearts and souls for everyone there. More than a week later, both D and I still had raw emotional nerves- we'd tear up just thinking about it, let alone telling others about it or talking to each other about it. It was truly an amazing day...As we hoped it would be.

So these are some pictures I took of the invitation, RSVP cards, thankyou, and program for the ceremony. As I'm sure many graphic designers will attest, it is hard to truly do the work justice in photographs...Especially when its me doing the photography in the basement! Anyway, I adapted a concept by a friend of mine (a graphic designer, Nancy) who got married during art school. She and her talented husband created an invitation that I loved...In a profound way. So I can't take credit for the original idea- but the idea of originality is a different topic all by itself.

We produced about 130 of these - entirely by hand! Literally. My trusty Canon Pixma ip6000 home printer did ALL the printing. D and I did all the cutting, cropping, binding, finishing here at home. It was a huge job, but a labor of love. Being relatively new to the area, I don't have any printing contacts here, so I was hesitant to go out looking for someone to do it. And I couldn't afford the high end printers here in town (who I love).

The wild grass element was taken from our wedding site. At Skamania lodge, the wedding site is framed by small hill sides of wild grass...Which we loved.

The light grey background image is of willow branches, which were also taken from the area surrounding Skamania lodge. We wanted to emphasize the natural beauty of the Columbia gorge, and Portland and a foundation and backdrop for our union. The orange patterned band on the invitation packaged all the different elements together, rather than just stuffing them in the envelope. It created an intimacy with the invitation that really brings the viewer in contact with the object, not just the info inside it.

So check it out. Comments appreciated.

No comments: